One week today. It doesn’t feel like the worst Friday in the world happened 7 days ago. The weekend flew by and so has the week. It’s starting to sink in, but not fully. I know as certain events come up (birthdays, anniversaries, the wedding) his presence will be missed much more. It’s hard to see grieving family and not be able to reach out and make it better. It takes time, but I wish I had a time machine and could make it all better. One things for sure, he will never be forgotten .
Everyone seems to be leaving us. Not only death, but moving away. I think it’s actually starting to sink in that two of my best friends are moving away. I don’t get much hang out time as it is, but when I do, I like to spend it with them. I know I can always call them, but seeing them and hearing their day to day personalities I’m going to miss terribly. I think I’m going to miss Melissa more because I know she’s not coming back. Back to visit, but she will never live across town again. Then there is always the possibility she will be in another country. People are moving on and moving away and I’m still here. In Tallahassee, stagnant. I do not have a problem with living here; I love being surrounded by family, but friends are starting to become sparse.
I’ve needed to portrait something recently and I could never find a way to express it until now. The other day I was blog surfing and came across the perfect excerpt. A new mom was saying she was not feeling complacent, and that’s exactly how I feel. Let me first give a disclaimer that I’m not a depressed unhappy person. I love my family, my husband, my baby, but at the same time I’m feeling lost of my own self identity. I’ve got into a grove of day to day life and pushed Caroline aside. I don’t feel life needs to be all about me, but at the same time I need to make sure I still feel like myself, and be able to define who ‘myself’ is. I’m a wife, a mom, student, a coworker, but who am I when I’m alone? What do I enjoy doing? It’s complicated because I’m not necessarily trying to find hobbies to fill my free time, but fine simple day to day things that define me, and make me happy. I want the inside to be bursting outward. When my children are grown or don’t “need me” anymore I don’t want to be walking around aimlessly having a mid life crisis. I want to be satisfied with my relationship with the Lord, my husband, my friends, my family. I want to know them and for them to know me.
Speaking of hobbies, I think Davy and I are going to take a beginners dance class. It’s just a 5 session class that teaches the basics of different dance genres. We are doing it solely to not look like idiots on our wedding day. We can “booty” dance, but that’s about it. I want us to look somewhat graceful during the slow songs. And if I enjoy it, I might even take up personal lessons for some outside enjoyment. I pass a dance studio every day after work and love watching the people dancing. I want to branch out and I think it’s a good way to try something new.
Speaking of new (wow, that is getting long), here is some stuff Moses is doing lately:
1. blows “raspberries” aka toot noises on any bare skin he can find! I’ll be holding him and all the sudden this loud embarrassing noise comes sounding off my arm. He thinks it’s so funny!
2. puts his lips in “whisle form” for no reason at all. He will make an “o” with his lips and just look at you. I’m not sure if he is just gaining control of those muscles or the wind in his mouth feels foreign to him, but he does it all the time now.
3. eating plenty of baby food. I started making my own food and he seems to enjoy everything I’ve mashed up so far. We have not tried any table food yet because I’m too afraid he will choke, but in time he will be eating everything I’m sure.
4. stands up by himself for long periods of time. Before we would have to hold him up then let go of his hands to make him stand alone, but now he will just crawl up to something, stand up, then let go.
5. he claps all the time. I tried to “Pavlov dog” him into every time I say “yay” he claps, and for the most part it works. He will even stand stationary and clap…it’s adorable!
6. he will be 8 months old next week and I’m shocked! I will continue to say it for the rest of his life, but he’s growing up so fast.
Aug 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Caroline, I know just what you mean about the whole "who am I?" dilemma. I've been / am there. It's kind of scary to wonder where you've gone. I think it's a combination of not having the time to do things and see people the way you used too. It's not necessarily bad, it's just different and changing... it's redefining who you are now that you're a wife and mom. I'm so there. It's scary sometimes. I'd LOVE to hang out sometime if you can.
Post a Comment