This stage in our parenthood has been a long time coming. Ok maybe not “long” but as long as it could be considering we are only talking about 26 months of life lived thus far. The time when our attention shifts from new words, songs, knowledge about numbers and letter to bathroom talk. When the first words that come out of my mouth have to do with doo doo or pee pee stories you know the Potty Training season has begun. School has been promoting potty training for months now and have made sitting on the potty part of their daily schedule; at our house however we’ve neglected being consistent. We felt he wasn’t ready and the last thing we wanted to do was scare him when it came to the bathroom. We’ve had a little potty next to our big one for a while now but the only interest he showed in it was sitting down knowing he could talk me into letting him pull on the toilet paper.
About a month or so ago Moses finally started understand how it all works. At first we would fake “pushing” and have him imitate and then one day he actually pushed something out. I made sure to make the biggest fuss about the littlest poo and showed him how truly proud I was. Ever since then it’s been a slow progression of success. He seems to enjoy pooing at his own house (who doesn’t) and pee peeing at school however we has had some pee pee success at the house. He’s become pretty regular about successfully going #2 every day or every other day at least once at the house. He prefers being “nakey boy” more than ever and surprisingly that seems to help remind him just how quickly he needs to potty.
With all success comes failure and we’ve just entered the forefront of Potty Training laundry. Just this morning he was fully dressed for school with his pants down to his ankles trying to potty before we left the house. I ran into my bedroom for a moment and not a second later I hear “Mommy”’; I run into the bathroom and find pee pee had touches every article of clothing. It not only hit him but hit the big toilet, the bathtub, the rug, and all over the floor. We’ve also experienced the “I’m done pooing now let me jump up, grab my own hiney cheeks and run into my room”. I think my top three phrases a day now are “do you need to go potty” “tell Mommy if you feel it coming” and “hurry to the potty”.
I’ve heard great things about the reward systems and we’ve done it a few times but honestly I think all the positive reaffirmation he gets from us is enough. He always has a big smile after a successful potty break and I only hope it gets better from here. Thankfully the weather is coinciding perfectly with our efforts and hopefully he start spending more weekend in the pool outside as “Nakey Boy”!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
YAY! Go Moses! That's really, really great! So is cleaning the baby toilet, bathroom, and clothes grosser than cleaning poopy diapers or is it easier?
Post a Comment