Nov 30, 2010

The day I one up’ed Daddy.

In our house it is an unspoken rule that we take turns putting Moses to bed. We have no problem splitting the responsibility and Moses shows no preference therefore it has never caused an issue; until last night.
For the past few months I have transitioned from reading four stories and laying him straight down to only reading 2 or 3 and then singing a couple songs. I thought the songs would be a nice way to calm him down and I was getting tired of reading the same books over and over and over again. The night I wanted to sing songs my mind went blank and the only two songs I could remember were “Jesus loves me” and “Jesus loves the little children”. I’ve sang them repeatedly since childhood and they began floating out effortlessly night after night. I didn’t think Moses cared which songs I was singing or if I was even singing until one night I rocked him quietly and he requested “song”. As the weeks go by he has become more verbal with what song he wants me to sing; “Jesus loves me Mommy” he would request after the last book was read. It makes me melt and I happily sing the same two songs every night.
Sunday night Moses woke up in the middle of the night crying out for me; I was tired and asked Davy to check on him. As Davy walked into the room I heard Moses say “No Daddy, Mommy”. He tried to hold him and his cry got louder. Was he actually refusing his Daddy? Finally I went into the room and he reached out for me to hold him. He buried his head into my chest and said “Jesus loves me”. :::heart swoon:::. Right then and there, with my 5-in-the-morning-glory voice, I sang to him. It made me feel incredible. Davy has always been his buddy, his pal, his sidekick but in this moment it solidified I was his Mommy. His gentle, caring, sweet mommy. He thinks of me in the way I have always wanted him to think of me as; his Mother.
Last night I was at the grocery store when I received a phone call from Davy, “Well, I’m officially insufficient” he blurted out. He proceeded to tell me after reading stories to Moses he started requesting Daddy to sing songs. Not just any songs, but Jesus loves me. Davy struggled through his vague memory of the lyrics but Moses was not satisfied. He lay in his bed and cried for his Mommy; finally drifting off after Davy promised when Mommy got home she would come into your room and sing you “Jesus loves me”.

3 comments:

The Hills said...

love it, so much so that I teared up with joy while reading. I know I'm a dork, but what can I say. I LOVE ME SOME MOSEY!! :)

Ashley said...

Aw! That is so super sweet!

Tamara James said...

Aww, love it:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails