This post was supposed to be filled with little snapshots of our home decorated for Christmas but I forgot to upload the pictures so it’s just me and the keyboard! This is how Christmas is going down in our house this year. The boys and I will wake up in our home, walk down the hall to a lit tree and open our stockings. Yep, that’s right, no presents. Seems weird? Let me explain.
Like I’ve mentioned before we’ve been experiencing some tough times financially lately and agreed early on not to buy presents for each other. We set aside money for family gifts we knew we needed to buy and a little more for additional family we wanted to buy for. We would take any extra money left over and buy small things for each other just to make us smile. As far as Moses’ presents go I kept holding off because I wasn’t really sure what he needed. As the weeks went on I still hadn’t bought him anything and then one Sunday our pastor gave an amazing message about Christmas.
Basically the gist of the message was why do we make ourselves miserable by going into debt and stressing about money at the holidays only to be giving to other what we don’t really have? Why am I going to buy Davy an expensive gift when we don’t have the extra money? Why do people feel the need to max at credit cards to provide the biggest box under the tree? Why isn’t it acceptable to give what we have and that be it?
Later that week I was walking past Moses playroom and realized he has an entire room filled with toys. His bedroom is bursting with books and clothes. He’s never mopped around the house begging for something new because all his needs are being met.
Sometimes I find myself so caught up with the holiday hustle and bustle of shopping and Santa and wish lists and wants and presents and …..uh, what have I become? What about Jesus’ birth and family? I’m not getting all radical about Christmas in because I love the tradition of Christmas trees, beautiful packages, outdoor lights, yummy candles, and Christmas music; it has to stop somewhere. So this year the boys are I will enjoy each other and our few stockings stuffers.
Then we will load up in the car and visit three other sets of families for Christmas. Our parent’s have graciously bought us gifts, mostly things we want, not need, and I’m certain our trunk will be filled with Moses’ new toys. And guess what, that’s fine. I would never push our minimalist Christmas on others that find joy in seeing us open those wonderful gifts. They have been blessed financially and want to share and that makes us happy too; it’s just something we’re not going into debt for.
Most importantly we get to visit with our siblings that live out of town. I cannot wait for Moses to see his cousins KiKi and Camden and play to their hearts content. And then re-meet his cousin Evan and run around like the three musketeers at Davy’s mom’s house. The best part is our family is staying for days so after all the Christmas hype is over we will have plenty of time to visit.
Don’t get caught up this weekend. Love time with family and good friends, remember the reason for the season, and have a very Merry Christmas!

2 comments:
Agreed! We did something similar this year and just bought surprise gifts for each other's stockings and then spent money we had left on either things getting stuff we needed or had scimped on throughout the year when we wanted to buy it. I think finding the balance of making Christmas about Jesus and doing the "American" thing is hard... One plan I have is to do the advent calendar but instead of treats have a kindness or something my kids will do each day... like "pick out toys to take to the battered women's shelter from what we don't play with," etc, etc. Merry Christmas to you guys!
I am sure your Christmas was wonderful!! Ben and I just do stockings for each other, we do secret santa with our family and bought Beau & Avery just a few things. I set a budget for Christmas and buy it all with our debit card. It really makes Christmas more fun!! High Five!!
Post a Comment