Dec 9, 2011

Christmas moments {cannot be forced}

There are certain Christmas traditions I feel the need, the urge, to uphold. One of them is that movie worthy moment when the family is all smiles hanging up the decorations while Christmas music plays in the background. The hot chocolate is steaming on the table and coordinating jammies and slippers are being worn. Cue real life. Like I mentioned I’ve really been struggling getting motivated so 90% of the decorating this year has been forced or frustrating and even one explosive fight were I angrily stood there yelling “YOU DO NOT get to decorate the tree” (yeah, I actually said that to someone living in my house). Davy did a great job putting out the outside display (dad territory) and I fixed up the side board and a few other places around the house. It was rocky but we got it done…well almost. 
 
That little 10% that needed to be done consisted of stringing the bottom tree lights (of course 1 stand had to go out in storage) and putting up the very last ornaments. After dinner and bath time we decided to let Moses help. The next thing I know our little living room had turned into a glorious movie scene; yes, the family was smiling, ornament hanging was occurring, and coordinating jammies were being wore. Davy slipped away for a moment only to return with his Pandora app playing glorious Christmas music. We all stood in a line holding of the section of lights while we walked around the tree stinging them and I watched my boys pick out the perfect place for a red and blue airplane. Those 20 minutes of pure joy cancelled out all the ho-humming it took to get the rest of the house ready. The best part about it; I didn’t force it. I wasn’t barking at the boys or putting us on a schedule…it just, happened. There we brief moments when I had to tell someone to move their arm because I was determined to capture a tiny piece of this memory! 
 Lastly, our special ornament for 2011 
 
From our wonderful mini family getaway to Downtown Disney! 

1 comment:

Ashley said...

I'm with you on struggling to find motivation. I think I'm doing that because I know I can't do it perfectly, so why try? I LOVE the ornament and I'm so happy y'all got one. I love getting one each time because delving back into the memories of each and it's significance is awesome. You've actually inspired me to try to make a post with all of ours and their stories! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails