May 1, 2012

too many shades of grey.

Remember when Facebook was your internet outlet only a few friends would see? And then that random cousin you see once a year friended you and you got to stalk all their pictures and pretend you knew each other deeper than you really do? And then your aunt joined and then your mom and then your grandma and you realized it was no longer an outlet? That everything you said was liked or commented on by your peers and you had to water it down so much so it became vanilla. So then you turned to Twitter as your outlet because it wasn’t catching on fast and old people certainly didn’t understand it so your outburst were safe. And then Twitter got more popular and people joined because they were bored and then they would tell other people what they would see on Twitter because they didn’t understand how to tweet and then all those people that were on Facebook started to get a Twitter and it started to become vanilla? Then finally you get on Instagram and take kooky pictures of yourself because it’s a safe place then too many people you know start following your picture grid then all the sudden your entire life is one big grey area.

I’m there.

And I hate it.

There needs to be separation of how I choose to outlet on the internet. For a while I had two Twitters; one for all my “mommy friends” I connected with through blogging and we could chat about poop and cloth diapers and husbands and private things we find perfectly ok to vomit onto the internet. Then my other Twitter was for more of my in real life friends to keep up with. Eventually it got too much and they were merged into one but as a consequence has made me edit my tweets.  

I need simplicity but I need separation.

I need an open outlet but I don’t want a censor button.

I love that friends at church come up to me and reference my blog.

I hate that in real life acquaintances talk to me like they know me based off of a few posts.

I love that I have met so many friends from having an open blog and twitter and although we are thousands of miles apart we are so much alike.

I hate when people comment on my social media but act like a stranger in person.

Separation. Censorship. Outlet. Freedom. Vanilla. Dark Chocolate.

But how?

3 comments:

Ashley said...

This is exactly why I went private with my twitter and instagram. Though recently I made twitter public again thinking its been long enough and no one will find me.

Ashley said...

I feel you. It's why I went private everywhere. You could make an anonymous ranting twitter account? It might feel nice! ;)

Alana said...

this is so true and i am struggling with this same exact thing. but on the flip side i love that i have met so many wonderful friends via twitter that have been more of a constant in my life than irl friends!

Related Posts with Thumbnails