Growing up we celebrated October 31st with an alternative to Halloween by dressing up and going to our church festival. My mom never decorated scary, gave out candy, or let us trick or treat. In my tween years I resented that choice but now realize why she did it. Even though I don’t fully agree with her convictions as an adult Halloween is not that big of deal to me. I love the idea of putting costumes on and seeing friends but I don’t like the idea of scaring people or being scared. The joy in the fear of being scared is something I don’t understand and if Moses is already scared there is no way I’m going to encourage that feeling. It can rule someone’s thoughts far past October 31st and I hate seeing my baby controlled by it. With that being said I’m not sure what we are doing this year. Our church is not longer doing a festival and since Moses is so young I’m not sure if bracing the crowds at another festival would be worth it. He doesn’t eat candy and would not be able to say trick or treat so that idea also seems silly. I hate acting like the day doesn’t exist because costumes and friends are fun however I’m at a loss on where to take him. If I find somewhere fun to take him he is going to need a costume and I’m at a complete loss on that as well!
No comments:
Post a Comment