Dec 8, 2010

The one where I get serious about life.

To make a dream come true you have to want it, a lot. If making something out of nothing was that easy then everyone would have something and no one would have nothing. I recently read how Gussy from Gussy Sews came to be and it was so inspirational; losing their jobs, getting new jobs, burying her head in library books and you tube videos to teach herself how to sew, saving a nest egg of money to be able to quit her job and follow her dream, and now living her passion. It’s so inspirational because she didn’t have a millionaire husband or special privileges to get where she is, she just did it. She had the drive, like so many people do, and eventually live their passion.
Right now things in our life our changing; one minor and one a little more major. The first being we have officially cut our cable off. It was an extra expense that we no longer felt the need to be paying. With owning your own business that fluctuates with the economy there are downsides to that and we are currently in one. With so many up and down weeks these past few months we need to take matters into our own hands and make things happen. With no cable bill that will put extra money in our account to pay off loans, debts and eventually start saving a nest egg.

With weekly jobs staying sparse Davy decided to take on a second job. We calculated the way business is he could work daily at a second job while still having time for his main job. Thankfully he still has good relationships with his old part time job and was able to get rehired. Nothing is set in stone yet but most likely he will have to be at work at 4:45am meaning his day will start around 4am. This will be a huge adjustment for our family; not only is Davy a night person but he is defiantly not a morning person. I am so very thankful for the sacrifices he is willing to make for our family and I’ll need to step up even more in making sure he is taken care of. I have a feeling our bedtime we no longer linger in the 11 o’ clock hour and I’ll need to be up by 6:30am to get Moses and I ready for the day.

We have goals and dreams for our family and we’re tired of settling. I’m sick of carelessly spending and then becoming stressed with our finances. We are taking control of our budget, our spending, and our general outtake on life. Living with the basics is going to build lots of character and hopefully we put us on the right track.

(This is a hard topic to talk about and not very fun to read; but its life)

4 comments:

Ashley said...

I understand where you're coming from. We dropped to one income in my 3rd trimester and it's been an adjustment to stay on a budget instead of spending like crazy. Sometimes it's hard not to just use a credit card for something we want and to wait and the waiting seems forever because paying down debts is a priority over spending. It can be really frustrating, but I know we'll get past it and there's a light at the end of the tunnel. Same for you! What's the business your husband has? My husband has been wanting to start his own business these last few months and we've gone back and forth on it a lot because we don't have the means to start something that would fail, you know?

Gussy Sews said...

you go, girl! so awesome :) :)

Nicole said...

Good for you guys! I love that you are both willing to make the changes that will pay off in the long run! Chris and I have had some financial setbacks lately with our cars & our pup needing surgery, so living with the basics will be something we deal with too...it will be tough, but worth it in the end!

The Hills said...

Love you little sister!! I'm so proud of You and Davy!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails