Day 3 of our challenge went a little something like this.
Breakfast:
Me- Bowl of Kashi cereal with Organic Valley milk
Moses- Bowl of dry cereal
Davy- gone before we woke up so unknown!
Lunch:
Leftover Mexican night….and sweets! When I received an Earth Fare email coupon for a FREE container of organic baby spinach with a purchase of $5 I knew the sweet gods were telling me I needed to go! I picked up some more bananas, more yogurts, my free spinach, and a cannoli from their bakery. Oh the Earth Fare bakery, why must you be so wonderful? I debated caving in for a pint of Ben & Jerry’s or gelato but I figured the cannoli could be eaten and forgotten in one swoop. Needless to say it satisfied my sweet tooth and WILL BE the last sweet I purchase this week….hopefully.
Dinner:
The side item was sweet potatoes cut into cubes tossed in olive oil and baked. Until last year I never really knew how to pick out a good sweet potato; I always thought the ones that were oozing should not be eaten however that’s hardly the case. The darker they are the better and if they are oozing that means they are even better. Thankfully I picked up 3 small potatoes and when I cut into them they were a nice bright orange with a little white juice pouring out from the center.
For the main entrĂ©e we had turkey burgers (1 lb package found in the packaged meat section) with shredded onion and zucchini mixed into the patties. I’ve always loved to add vegetables to turkey burgers because they make them extra juicy and flavorful. I seem to always forget however those soft juicy patties should not be placed on the grill because they start to fall into the grill grates. They were not a pretty sight but tasted great (next time I’ll remember to put them on the George). I placed the burgers on toasted bread with big leafy lettuce and ranch dip I made using the leftover Organic Valley sour cream and ranch seasoning I had. The warm burger paired with cool ranch and sweet potatoe wedges was the perfect meal for the warm spring time night we had.
Last night was the first struggle we had with staying on our food challenge. Davy made the suggestion of going out to eat and I could hardly say no. We had the cash, we had the time and having someone else bring us dinner sounded a lot better than cooking it! I thought back to my original intentions last weekend and what this challenge meant to me. Yes it was so easy to drive thru a fast food line or munch on whatever is on sale but what is that doing to my body? I feel like I’m constantly failing in the eating better/ exercise department and I need this week to prove to myself I can stick with something. I can make the right food decisions at every meal and feel good about where my food is coming from. So I said no to eating out and Davy quickly agreed. We cooked up dinner while playing with Moses on the back porch and happily ate our dinner; feeling good about the choices we are making.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
That's great! Good job to you guys! :) Is there a Chipotle in Florida? That's one we can always eat and feel good about because everything is organic including grass fed beef and free range chicken! We're SO happy to have a place like that in OK. We also have a Jason's Deli which is a salad bar (they have a menu too, but I never use it) and it's loaded with organics and they have the best organic raspberry dressing. Eating at home is definitely better, but for us, knowing there are healthy eat-out options is helpful!
Post a Comment