Apr 21, 2011

My Best Picture Top 10

I know this topic is somewhat old but I wanted to mark it down in my “life diary” so I won’t forget this time next year. Originally my intention was to see almost all the movies up for Best Picture at the Academy Awards this year. I had already seen a few before the nominations came out and the other half were on my list of “want to see”. I figured I could watch a new one each week because I had weeks between the nomination announcement to the Awards; well….that never happened. At $8-10 a movie ticket that added up to close to $50 and our finances didn’t have room for a $50 movie budget. Now that the awards are long gone I have finally seen all the ones I wanted to. Here is my list of favorites:


1. The Fighter. If you haven’t seen this movie, you need to! I had no intentions of seeing it when it first came out until it started to gain Oscar buzz. Once I saw it I’m now surprised it didn’t win Best Picture. Christian Bale is completely transformed into a drug addicted ex boxer from the North East who truly makes you believe that’s who he is. I think that’s what makes this movie so great; every second of every scene you feel saturated in this time and place. From every phrase to clothing article to car they stay completely in character and it pulls you in, deep.
2. Inception. Walking out of the theater after seeing this movie my mind wasn’t so baffled by the movie but the fact that someone is so far out there that they thought up this concept and were able to portray it to the world. I don’t know if it’s too many drugs or pure brilliance but to think of a concept like Inception and make the audience believe it is why this is my #2.
3. The King’s Speech. Being all the rage at the Oscars I was absolutely giddy for this to come out on rental this week. It took us two nights to watch it but it was really good. The relationship between the King and the speech therapist is what did it for me. Also the fact that Colin Firth does not have a stammer and to be taught (by his speech therapist real life sister actually) how to talk the way he did was pretty impressive.
4. The Social Network. This actually ties for my third place because I loved this movie. I love how the movie lets you make up your own mind if he’s innocent or guilty. I love that they made a movie about the biggest thing in the world right now, Facebook.
5. The Kids Are All Right. I thought I would never see this movie! Thanks to Redbox one night there was nothing else good to rent we had not already seen and I just took a chance. And it surprised me! I love the feel of the movie and locations they shot it in; it feels so fresh and alive and makes me want to live on their street. Gay marriage isn’t really on my list of “Stand up and Support” causes but the family dynamic of this movie is undeniable.
6. Black Swan. The biggest disappointment in my book. With all the hype I thought I could look past the fact that it was a thriller but honestly I wasn’t that impressed. Yes it was weird and all “mind gamey” but it didn’t do it for me. I thought the lesbian vibe was just to give the movie a little edge and was unnecessary. I must say I’m super impressed at Portman for training so hard and literally transforming into a ballerina for this role.
7. Toy Story 3. I don’t think they will ever top the original but it was cute nonetheless.
8. 127 Hours *
9. Winter’s Bone *
10. True Grit *
I have no desire to see Winter’s bone or True Grit and maybe one day when I’m super bored I’ll watch 127 hours. I’m happy to finally see all the movies I wanted to on the list and will hopefully have the same luck for next year’s big event!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails