Today I wanted to repost an old entry because it tells the stories of one of the best days of my life. The day my boyfriend made it officially known to the world he wants to spend the rest of his life with me; it’s the day Davy proposed. I was laying in bed last night and for whatever reason started thinking about his proposal. I can honestly say it’s THE most creative, wonderful proposal of anyone I know. Warning, it’s lengthy, but it needs to be in order to tell the story in its entirety.
One Wednesday night after church I went to have coffee with my girlfriends. All three of my best friends Sarah, Melissa, Beth agreed to all come and hang out which I thought was wonderful because we never all got to hang out on a week night. So we get our drinks and sit down to talk and Anthony (Melissa’s husband) calls her and proceeds to tell her a radio station (one I don’t listen to) is doing their “around town scavenger hunt trivia game”. The game was simple: they say a riddle about a certain place in town over the radio and then the first person to crack the riddle and get to the location wins $5000 (in $1 bills) and 4 tickets to the “Walking with Dinosaurs” event that was coming to town. She starts telling us the riddle and something about Betton Road. Well conveniently the coffee pub is very close to Betton so we, well mostly me, starts freaking out and decides it’s a great idea for all of us to jump in the car and play the game. Competition, money, and dinosaur tickets are all right up my alley and so I’m immediately very into the game and very determined to win. Let me pause and say Melissa did such a good job playing along, the way she was talking to Anthony and acting so nervous and excited had me completely fooled.
The riddle has something to do with a bench, tree, swing and peddles. Our first thought is the park off Betton; we pull in and I’m demanding Beth to drive over here and shine her lights over there hoping we find a matching description. We see a bunch of rose bushes at one side of the park and take off that way on foot looking for the prize. At this point I’m yelling at Beth telling her to pull her car off the road and shine her lights at the flowers so we could see better but she was acting all dumb and wouldn’t do it because she knew what was coming. So here we are with cell phones in hand trying to light up the ground. We found a bench and feel under it trying to find some kind of clue. We’re are having no luck and I’m getting bummed because it all made sense that the prize would be here. So then the girls start asking if there are any more rose gardens around here and me, being angry at Beth and Sarah (for standing by the car and not really helping) starts getting frustrated because OF COURSE there are no other flowers in the park.
And then all of the sudden I remember my dad’s girlfriend lives off Spruce road which is off Betton road and right by her house is this beautiful rose garden. So I start freaking out thinking no one else listening to the radio would think of that garden and we all pile in the car to head that way. Emotions and excitement are peeking and Melissa starts saying comments like “we could really win this” and “this has to be it”. We pull up to the rose garden and I’m yelling to Beth to drive on the grass to shine better light on everything; she doesn’t claiming she doesn’t want to get in trouble! We end up parking and practically running over to this bench by the swing. We are feeling under it but nothing. Then I remember inside the rose garden is a tree with a bench built all the way around it. We all start creeping threw the rose bushes but the girls are so far behind me acting skittish. When I walk into the center of the garden I notice rose petals have been laid all over the bench and I make the comment “looks like someone just got engaged” but even at this point I’m still oblivious to what’s really going on.
Then out of nowhere lights turn on. Christmas lights were wrapped all through the tree and rose bushes and my first thought was WE WON. We had found the location and the prize was ours. In a sort of confusion we’re all just standing there and then this guy, all dressed up, comes walking down the pathway towards me. I thought this has to be the radio DJ because we just won. As he got closer I realized it was Davy. “Davy?” I asked in complete confusion. The thoughts going through my head were “why is he here, he’s supposed to be at work, did he already win?” then he walks up to me and as nervous as he could be dropped down to one knee! He nervously mumbled out all the sweet things he planned to say and asked if I would marry him!
At this point I was in total shock. Of course I said yes and tears were flowing with the best emotions I’ve ever felt. He was so nervous that he just handed me the open box with the ring in it and as we were hugging I whispered “can you put the ring on my finger?”.
Out from the bushes comes his best friend Joe, and Melissa’s husband Anthony. Then my sister and dad come walking over from across the street and by this point I was beaming with excitement putting together all the details it took to set this up including devised an entire plan to get me to the perfect engagement! How could someone love me so much to have thought about this for weeks and planned every detail to come out just perfect? I have the best fiancĂ© and can’t wait to be his wife for the rest of our lives!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
And now I'm crying at work....great. lol. What a beautiful beautiful beautiful story. :)
Deb
That's very, very creative and sweet! :)
Even having been there, it still makes me tear up!! ;)
Wow. If you guys ever get divorced, please give him my number!
Sincerely,
Every woman on earth!
Post a Comment