Jan 13, 2012

What's in a 3 year old {a lot}

I’m calling it writers block even though I don’t consider myself a writer. All week I’ve had topics come to mine and even have pictures ready to load…but I just couldn’t do it. I was active with other social media, I went to the gym, I worked on the birthday party, but I could do the blog. Until today.

This is one of those posts I WANT to write so I can look back and remember the stats. I’m terrible with stats and if people ask how much did he weight at his first birthday I wouldn’t know if it was 15 or 25 pounds!

This week at his 3 year well checkup he was 35 pounds and 39 inches; between 75-80% on the charts so we are considering that a win! I’m not just saying this because I’m his mom and think he’s the most awesome kid in the world but we have been told by teachers, doctors, ect that he has an great vocabulary for his age; clear enunciation, wide range of knowledge, and the excitement of a kid at Disney! I’d like to say we’ve done flashcards and watched Einstein and trained him to speak so well but…that’s not the case at all. We just talk to him, a lot. We read and play and tell stores and watch movies and this is the result. And for that excitement, he gets it from within. Oh my gosh that exuberance is hard to wrangle; as a parent I want to let him be free and expressive all the time but at the same time we have to hone it in, finding ourselves saying “calm down” 100 times before bedtime.

He’s independent every way he possibly can be right now. It may take three solid minuets but you better believe he is putting on his own jammies. He wants to put the game together, pick out his own clothes, brush his own teeth, put on his own socks, turn off the TV, and anything else that needs assistance…he wants to do himself!

He’s figuring out the 6 degrees of separation; always curious how we are all intermixed. He knows is Grammy is my mom but I’m his mommy. He’ll tell you the name he calls everyone (Pop, Grammy, Daddy) but then tell you their “other name” (Rob, Catherine, Davy). He’ll even tell you I call Davy, Honey! He’s into knowing who everyone’s mom is and quickly asked his 6 foot friend Josh “what’s your mom’s name”.

He’s finally into games! Before it’s been blocks or toys, something simple, but now it’s the year of the games. He got a few games for Christmas and we’ve been playing them daily. Hi Ho Cheerio and Diggity Dog are his favorites; he’ll help put every piece in place and patiently wait for his turn to arrive. He has even gotten into Wii sports! Sometimes he loses, sometimes he wins, but he likes playing either way.

Still loves: throwing the ball, sports, being outside, eating bananas in the morning, reading stories before bed, sucking a passy at night (ending very soon!), tackling his Daddy, jumping on the trampoline, sweet treats, eating in general, going to school, his school friend Teagen, needing his privacy in the bathroom, and being awesome!

1 comment:

Ashley said...

I loved reading this post the other day because it gives me so much to look forward to as my boys age! I also realized while reading this post that although Moses seems a lot older than Joel (I guess he's about 1.5 years older since Joel is 17 months), they'll actually only be one grade apart. So Joel would just be graduating one year after him. Crazy to think about!

Related Posts with Thumbnails