For the past couple weeks I’ve had presents wrapped under
the tree because I figured Moses is finally old enough to understand the
waiting game and if I’m going to spend the time wrapping them I want to enjoy
them as long as I can. He loves checking out the different boxes, especially
the ones he knows are for him. He started
asking daily “Mom, what’s in this box?” even though he knows I won’t tell. He
keeps saying he hopes it’s a “powder”* and we giggle about it**.
Well Davy’s been doing a little shopping of his own and
decided to wrap a stock stuffer for each of us to put in there early. Yesterday
afternoon I walk into the house and heard it all unfolding.
Davy was taking a shower and Moses was happily sitting on
the couch watching TV like he does every other time we take a shower; except
today. He had gone into his stocking and thought long and hard before peeling
back a corner of the wrapping paper to see what it was. At this time Davy has
emerged from the shower and hears Moses saying something very fast (in that
everything is fine voice) so of course he knew something was up. Instantly
Moses knew he was busted.
Davy explained that we have to wait for Christmas then told
him he couldn’t have it anymore and that’s when my sweet little mischievous boy
lost it. He started to realize he made a mistake that he couldn’t take back and
the surprise was over. He was sobbing even after we explained he could have it on
Christmas. He kept saying over and over he wanted it to be a surprise. After a
few minutes of crying he walked back over to his stocking, looked at it, and
then came back sobbing again wishing it could be a surprise. He climbed on my
bed and sat there crying some more. It was melting me because I knew it was a
pivotal moment we’ve all had in our childhood; when you realize the guilt of
peeking wasn’t worth the peek. I have a
feeling we won’t have to worry about anymore peeking going on at our house!
*He has seen this commercial and decided he loves this toy
that shoots silly looking men with giant pink brains across the room and will
stick to any surface. He has no idea what the real name is but in his head he
calls it a powder because it POWS the men. We have figured out the actual name
and purchased this ridiculous Scatter Brainz toy weeks ago and is nicely
wrapped under the tree. Moses walks over to the biggest box and keeps asking if
this is a powder and then we proceed to play dumb and have him explain it while
we giggle our parent giggle knowing it’s in another box on the other side of
the tree. Christmas is going to be so fun this year!
** I couldn’t help but laugh with my mom at how far I’ve
come from saying comments like no toys that make noise or other things first
times mom swear they will never do only to be walking around Target with this
giant gun looking thing that shoots men with overly large brains. Yes I still
stand my ground on killing bad guys and Spongebob but sometimes you have to let
it go a little to see the smile on your kids face.
No comments:
Post a Comment