This recipe is taken from America’s Test Kitchen which if
you haven’t watched their show or Cooks Country you’re missing out—nothing like
testing out a recipe until perfection! I would link the recipe but you have to
sign up now to access it on their site so I went ahead and shared it so you
could avoid that hurdle!
I follow the recipe pretty much verbatim but wanted to add
some personal notes.
1 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 3/4 sticks butter (unsalted—always use unsalted when baking!)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar (I’ve used light and results are very similar)
1 teaspoon table salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 large egg, plus 1 egg yolk
1 1/4 cups broken Heath Bars
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 3/4 sticks butter (unsalted—always use unsalted when baking!)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar (I’ve used light and results are very similar)
1 teaspoon table salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 large egg, plus 1 egg yolk
1 1/4 cups broken Heath Bars
*Heath Bar: for
this recipe I used the individual bars which are thicker than normal bars but
either will work. Roughly chop or smash as long as the pieces are not too thick
you can’t mess this up!
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine flour and baking soda in a bowl. Whisk and set aside.
Melt 1 1/4 sticks butter in a skillet over medium-high heat.
Keep swirling until butter has a dark golden brown color and a nutty aroma,
about 1 to 3 minutes. Transfer it to a bowl and mix in the remaining butter
until melted. Note: do not let this part
scare you! Best to try in a stainless steel pan to see the color change easier
but never take your eye off of it and let your nose be your guide. I’ve never
had it ready within 60 seconds so don’t be scared if it takes you closer to 3
or 4 minutes. If you see little flakes at the bottom that’s a good thing and
try to pour those into the bowl as well because they are full of buttery
flavor.
Add the sugars, salt, and vanilla to the butter and mix
well. Add the egg and the extra yolk; whisk until smooth, about 30 seconds. Let
it rest for 3 minutes, then whisk again for about 30 seconds, before letting it
rest again. You’ll want to whisk this about 4 times, until you have a thick,
glossy, and smooth mixture. Note: don’t
be lazy and don’t skip this step! If you’re short on time switch the laundry
into the dryer or go wipe off a counter while you wait those 3 minutes each
time…trust me!
Gently stir in the flour and baking soda just until combined.
Stir in the heath bar.
Form dough balls about 3 tablespoons in size, and place them
on a lined baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Bake at 375 degrees for 10-14
minutes, then put the baking sheet on a cooling rack and let the cookies cool
on the sheets. Note: I personally think
these should be made into large cookies…something about the way the dough
flattens out and gets crisp around the outside with a soft chewy inside is only
achieved when they are big. I use my ice cream scooper for even measurements and
honestly I’m not sure if it’s 2 or 3 tablespoons but I do know it’s bigger than
a spoon (which would give you place N bake size cookies). Last time I made
these I took them out around 9-10 minutes and after cooled there were so gooey
and wonderful on the inside. It’s okay if the outside rim is browning; it has
to do with the browned butter!
Variations: Add chocolate chips or chunks and nuts as the
original recipe suggest. Get crazy and thrown some Nutella into the mix.
I’m sorry I have no
pictures to show you—I fully intended to take a picture but they were gone
before I remembered again J
No comments:
Post a Comment