Passy has been a dear friend to Moses since the first week he came home but now that he is THREE and can fully articulate a conversation the pacifier has got to go. He only has it for bedtime (not even weekday naps) however he treasures that time it brings him comfort. Before bed while he was picking out stories I started to tell him one day he will have to say goodbye to it. That he is a big boy now and his baby friends are the only ones who should have passies. We talked about who his baby friends were (all those who are around 1 years old) and how it would make me very proud if he shared and let them have his passies. I don’t how it transitioned from one day to today but it did and it happened. I tucked it under my leg and just like that we started reading.
He asked for it and by the time I laid him down he decided he no longer wanted to share. The begging turned to crying and frustration. I kept reassuring him he was big and didn’t need one anymore…that I was proud of him for sharing. It’s funny how he finds such comfort in sucking rubber to put him to sleep. In a desperate plea for help he leaned into my neck and slightly bit/ sucked on my skin for a moment hoping it was a passy. We both laughed knowing how silly he was being.
A few moments after I left his room I heard him in the hallway running into my arms. A few more minutes later I walked back in the hall to find him standing by the door telling me he was sick and threw up. He showed me his spit in the toilet and turned into a Drama King overacting his faux feelings. A few more reassuring talks and back rubs later he was asleep. He did it; he put himself to sleep without a passy! And he went all night without waking for it once.
This morning he came into my bed and suddenly remember I had a green passy in my hand the night before while reading stories…and he wanted it. No way was that going to happen. I hid it in a place he will never look hoping yesterday was the last day ever he’ll have one. My goal now is to continue to tell him how proud we are for his decision and then find every single passy that’s hiding in the house and put them away before he finds it!As weird as this may sound I'm slightly emotional about this big step in his toddler-hood!
Just one more way he's becoming bigger and bigger and bigger as he puts it.
1 comment:
Good job! I'm dreading those days because Joel will not fall asleep without one! We're transitioning off letting him use it during the day and Josh wants to nix it at night, but I'm like, "No way!!! Not yet." And isn't it funny how they stash them? I found 3 today while I was packing things and cleaning and to find them I had to go to all his hiding spots. Good thing he doesn't have a lot of time to go hunting them all down!
Post a Comment